Splendour in the Mud

 The 2022 rendition of Splendour in the Grass was my first time attending the well-known and much anticipated festival. After purchasing my tickets three years ago in my home city of Perth, not having a group of friends to attend with was not going to stop me. Besides, this is Byron Bay. I had no doubt that I would meet some wonderful people and make some beautiful connections. 

My optimism faltered however, when I stepped through the gates of the festival to find the chaos far more extensive than imagined. I soon found travelling from one stage to another came with great difficulty, and trudging up a hill was a scary experience I tried to avoid. 

But despite the 80’s horror movie inspiring experience The Mud was, there was a sense of comradery in the air at Splendour, and I believe the mud had a significant role in this doing. Holding hands with strangers as you clamber up a hill; helping someone out of the mud; taking down a few people with you as they attempt to unsuccessfully stop you from face-planting it.

For years, festivals have been losing their attachment to the music. Fashion and socials have slowly been taking centre stage at festivals, while the music itself has become a supporting act. I am not innocent of this either, mind you. However, I cannot deny the liberation of having this taken from me. I was present for each set, consumed by the music and strangers around me, not giving a f**k about how I looked – taking a face plant to the face will definitely have this effect on you.

Since returning,  friends and colleagues have been asking me how my experience was. To their surprise, I only have positivity to share. I drove away from Byron a dozen pairs of socks down, a pair of doc martens ruined, and potentially carrying COVID. Still, that cannot compare to the memories and wonderful experiences I had. 

So thank you, Splendour in the Mud, for truly making it an unforgettable experience. Until next year.

#isurvivedsplendour.

I also wish to thank everyone who worked at the festival and helped make this experience what it was. It couldn't have been easy, but I am truly so grateful. 





Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts