Happy Days

My days lately have been very eventful. I like to think I have rekindled and started many friendships. I've become a 'yes' person and consequently met new people and gone on a few adventures. I am generally a happier person than I have been in a long time. 
Hitting the town in a vintage dress and bag from the flea market

                                                                                                      Mermaid hunting at the beach                                                                             

My friends and I have begun to visit our friends holiday house in Mandurah, south of Perth. It is absolutely so relaxing and the fact that we are getting away and staying in a house where we can do whatever we want is amazing. It is now our getaway place. What is even more delightful is that it is right on the river where we can go swimming and canoeing at absolutely any time. Although one of my friends is a bit sceptic about going swimming after hearing that the water is also inhabited by Bull Sharks. It was a lie of course... I hope.

I bought a stone that resembles greatly of a piece of a charcoal that is supposed to ward off negative energies. I instantly slipped into my shirt so that it was pressed against my heart and strangely enough, instantly started feeling heart burn or some sort of cramps. Most likely not even related but the coincidence was so strange. Ever since, I have not cried, and if heard news I didn't particularly like, I can easily shrug it off and continue with my positive and optimistic outlook.

I also caught up with one of my best friends whom I rarely see these days where we had a two night sleepover (woo), watched 90's movies, wore dresses snagged from the flea market and visited a book store. That there is my perfect idea of a weekend. Two of the films we watched included The Virgin Suicides directed by one of my favourite directors; Sofia Coppola and Lolita, directed by Adrian Lyne.



These two films I definitely recommend; them both being one of my many favourite films. The Virign Suicides is filled with some beautiful cinematography and some amazing quotes. It is a film that makes me wonder and even pushes me to question some of my views, particularly being related to suicide and promiscuity. Perhaps what I love most about the film is my ability to relate to so much, especially with the quote, "what we have here is a dreamer. Someone completely out of touch with reality". 

I bought and read the book Lolita, written by Vladmir Nabokov. I found the book quite difficult to read due to the big language and use of French quite frequently, but nevertheless, I still found myself almost lost in it, eager to know of the unique love story. When first hearing of what this book and film surrounded, I was shocked and automatically thought terribly of poor Mr Humbert. But after reading the book, and even more after watching the film, I found myself in awe of Mr Humbert and feeling sympathetic towards him. That was something I loved about the film; the director was able to position the viewer and challenge the viewers usual morals and views, to feel sympathetic for Mr Humbert if not like him, despite the circumstances. I would also like to take my top-hat off to Dominique Swain who played Lolita, absolutely perfectly, might I add. My vision of her in the book was almost identical to what I saw in the film. She absolutely smashed it. Another shout-out to the costume designer; I fell in love with Lolita's style. 




Images from Lolita

But one of the most important things that has happened over these past weeks, is that I have learnt to be one of my own best friends. There isn't enough time to waste hating ourselves. 

Comments

Popular Posts