What do teenagers know?

I'm currently sitting at work right now and beside me my 40 year old co-worker sits at her desk. I mentioned I wrote a novel, finally. I finally wrote a damn novel and I'm so proud. I never thought I had it in me.
Curous, she asked me what it was about. A little embarrassed I answered, "Oh you know, typical teenagers going through heartbreak or depression and using drugs to cope with their realities".
She laughed. "You're only a baby", she had snorted. "What would teenagers know about that?"



And I was silent, in thought and I answered. "Teenagers are young and vulnerable. They haven't experienced much loss, much disappointment so they love hard and have high hopes. They think they know everything and have the world eating out of their hands. They get hit harder with reality, with loss, with heartbreak, with disappointment, harder than anyone else. Adults know. Adult have walls and adults are tough. Teenagers don't have any walls yet. They're sitting ducks to the sharp arrows sprung from the bow of reality." 

Comments

Popular Posts