The War On Men

Feminism is at a highest in popularity. I'm happy for that. Especially as even many men consider themselves to be feminists as they support the equal rights of women. 

I consider myself to be a feminist. I also strongly support the 'Free the Nipple' movement, because shouldn't we be free to expose our nipples as men can? Why do all our body parts have to be labelled as sexual and therefore taboo? Or can it not just be a damn body part we literally all have?

With this in mind, I wouldn't appreciate a woman walking around topless at the shopping center. Or while gardening in the front yard. I wouldn't appreciate someone freeing the nipple in front of children. But there is a middle ground. A music festival for instance. An adults beach. The backyard. A party. Events and places inhabited primarily by adults. 

Anyway, it seems that as women we are achieving a lot (there is still a lot to go but we're getting there). And I cannot help but feel that women are taking it too far and complaining about literally anything. It's like as women we feel so entitled to be comfortable and confident all the time that when the littlest thing happens that jeopardizes that, we complain and start promoting the ban of it. 

I'm speaking about this now after Isabelle Cornish, an actress from one of my favorite television shows, Puberty Blues, posted a picture with a controversial caption. 




Funnily enough, I was whistled at while at the shops. It was the first time in years. Suddenly my walk had an extra bounce in it and I felt confident. I didn't acknowledge the whistler who sounded to be very close by, and the whistler didn't follow me. 
But it seems that many women think it is rude and downright wrong to whistle at a girl. Its supposedly rude and objectifying. But I am confident that the whistle was meant as a compliment, so why should I not take it that way? I was not put in danger or made uncomfortable. I was not followed or harassed. I understand that these are common outcomes for quite a few women, and maybe this has happened to Isabella, but does that mean all men should suffer? Should we completely ban it? Or can we find the middle ground?

It's just really frustrating that nowadays it seems rather than compromise, we just want to get rid of it altogether. Good intentions should not be punished and we should not be trying to control men so harshly. I am guilty for whistling at attractive men, too. Back in the day, that's how you complimented a stranger. I guess now the so-called appropriate way to compliment (and ignore) someone is by Instagram comments. 

All I'm saying is, we can't take everything so harshly or badly. Compromise. There's a middle ground. You have a right to react to things how you want, but you don't have the right to change someone who has not intended to hurt or upset you, because you simply don't like it. 


Comments

Popular Posts