Creating With... Kelly Ferguson

Being an artist does not necessarily describe someone who makes money solely off of their creative work. An artist can be someone who merely tries to incorporate art in their preferred form, within their lives. Creating is not just a job but a lifestyle. 
Unfortunately not everyone can do what they love all the time and make money from it. But if you truly love it, then sometimes that's enough. And it's that passion, that I believe defines an artist. 

I myself, love to write. I paint very often as well, though I am not very good. And it's okay. Because it is an act that I enjoy and I find my mind goes into a meditative state as I watch the colours smudge from my brush and my mind wanders aimlessly and freely, edging my subconscious. 

Creating, whether music, paintings, photography, poetry, stories, collages etc. is gosh darn beautiful. It's what has inspired me to start the 'Creating with...' series. 

First up we have Kelly Ferguson who creates gorgeous abstract works using ink. 


How did you get into ink art? 

I have done ceramics, acrylic works and water colour. Then I found ink about a year ago. A girl Dani, posted on Facebook that she was moving to Melbourne and wouldn't be able to do this ink art course so she asked if anyone wanted to buy it from her. I said, "Yes please Dani." 


The location of the course was right down the road from my house and so I thought, it's meant to be. I went there and did the course and loved it. 



I love drawing but I am just so hard on myself. You know when you are doing something and you just feel like you can never get it perfect? Luckily with this, you don't have to be perfect. And actually, you don't want it to be perfect. 
So I just start playing around. 


 What inspires your work? 

Mostly I draw a lot of inspiration from nature. I am drawn to certain colours as well as work a bit with the idea of space. 



What are your goals for your art? 

I admire the artists that have a consistent look. I hope to develop my work more and narrow it down to more of a particular style. 



What do you wish to say to other creatives? 

Keep going if it makes you happy. You do it because you love it and if something comes from it, great. If it doesn't, it doesn't. 
Find something you love and stick with it. 


You can follow Kelly and her work on Instagram at @k_ink_art 



Comments

Popular Posts