The Power of Perception

Is everything either good or evil?

Can experiences only be good or bad?


Or is every moments definition in terms of signifcance depending soley on the way it is seen?

A break up sparking an inner turmoil for instance many, many years ago, completely crushed me. It took my energy and strenght to even complete mundane tasks like showering daily or eating. I rarely left my bed because break downs were frequent and random. 
I despised that period of my life when experiencing it. Who wouldn't? Who would want to feel shit? 
But when the period passed, I realised that the reality of my mental health was not primarily due to the break up, but the crash in confidence in not my physical appearance, but in my self worth. It caused me to question my future to a point of absolute fear that I decided I didn't want one at all. It brought every frightening thought I'd ever had to the surface and my lack of hope caused me to believe those fears. 
I look back now at the scatter of broken pieces which was me and recall so fondly, how I tried to put those pieces back together, and what a better person I created in the process. 
I am glad for that time that forced me to learn about myself and as a result, I know who I am, what I can handle and what I need to overcome. 

I know we are frequently told to look at the silver lining, but now I am telling you that good and bad is a mere perception and perceptions change. Look at history and the dramatic changes in norms, for instance. 

The 'bad' things we judge other people for. Their random bursts of excitement. Their obsessive behviours. Or their strange interests. 
Who was to say that it was 'bad'?
Can their excitement not be apprecaited for their ability to bring up the mood of a group? Or their positivity? 
Can their obsessive nature not be appreciated for their attention to detail? 
Can strange interests not be appreciated for their encouragement in stepping out of the comfort zone established by society and expand our understanding in 'strange' things? 

⋮𝙙𝙤𝙧𝙠𝙮𝙡𝙪𝙫

I am frequently called 'weird' due to my obsession with astrology. I am judged on my tendency to try to and make others happy and excited in social situations that I get carried away and become 'loud'. 
But now I am proud of my astrology obsession, because it shows my passion to understand myself and others. I want to share insightful comments or provide guidance in order to assist peopole through the troubles in their lives. I don't mean this as I read them their horoscope. I find out their traits, cause them to question them, thereby forcing them to look at themselves and consider who they so that they can take their findings and run with it and be the best damn version of themselves they can be. 

// In need of a detox? Get 10% off your @SkinnyMeTea 'teatox' using our discount code 'Pinterest10' at skinnymetea.com.au

I read an amazing quote today. 

By understanding and accepting your pain, you take away its power. 

So understand your bad or 'strange' habits. Appreciate them and love them. 

Don't be ashamed of who you are. Look at yourself from every positive angle. 

Know who you are. Then run with it. 


Comments

Popular Posts