Skyscrapers & Outbreaks

Do you ever have dreams about your partner cheating on you?

Who am I kidding. If you're in a relationship, the odds are that you definitely have.

They're not fun and the relief of waking up and realizing that it was a dream is often so overwhelming that I burst out into tears, thankful it wasn't real.

After four years with my boyfriend, I still get the occasional dreams. Honestly, we have been together for long enough, and I know him well enough, that I never think about losing him. It's a surreal thought. It's unnecessary. I completely trust him and I know that if things ever got rocky he would communicate and try, well before he did anything drastic. 

So when these nightmares occur, they shake me to my core. I can barely breathe and the snippets linger with me for the entire day. I never think about losing him but those nightmares remind me of what I deep down really fear. The days to follow are filled with gratitude and appreciation for him, but they are also filled with insecurity and the desperate need for reassurance. 

Anyway, I wrote a poem about this. Hope you like it. It's called Skyscrapers and Outbreaks. 
-

The desire to climb
To the tallest leaf
The fear of heights
Keeping the excitement brief

Dreams of being trapped on the roof
Of a towering skyscraper
Lying down and hoping
Not to fly off like a piece of paper

Then I’m not sure exactly when it started
But I remember when it got out hand
The irrational fear of zombies
At fourteen the seriousness began

I recall struggling to sleep
And listening out for any sound
The slightest rumble of wind
Meant zombies were all around

Nightmares during most sleeps
Of broken limbs dragging along
Grasping and grabbing me
Their bellows echoing like a choir song

Death, plague and other sensible fears
Never hit me very deep
Stuck on buildings and outbreaks
Have stolen the most sleep 

Then I turned eighteen
I suddenly had something to lose
Sharks, spiders, zombies and heights
Are nothing compared to the absence of my muse

It isn’t so much felt
And I often do forget
Until a nightmare comes
And I wake up in a sweat

For hours I cannot function
My coffee shakes in my hold
As I silently pray to the stars
For those dreams to never unfold

Give me a skyscraper
Or even a pack of zombies I can take on
Long before I could ever handle
The realization that you were gone


Comments

Popular Posts