Short Story: The Beach


The scorching sun began to retire, providing a perfect evening for the beach. As it dipped low in the sky it cast a cloak of gold over the bundled rocks and shore. Excited children squealed and played as they ran from the incoming tide.  Surfers scattered the sea, their bare backs glowing while they patiently waited; the emerging moon promising belting waves.

I step further down the damp shore to allow the water to lap refreshingly at my legs. I watch the tide stretch too far and tumble ruthlessly over sandcastles. I do not notice the large wave approaching and I squeal as it catches my pants. I laugh, simultaneously defeated and relieved. I stare down at my soaked trousers and with a shrug, I leap into the water and I am weightless. My work clothes however were not.

I stumble proudly out of the water, catching a smirk from my observing partner and an amused smile from a mother sitting nearby. She then returns her gaze to her small child in front of her who pats and throws the wet sand excitedly. She turns to her partner and they share a tender chuckle at their child who will be bringing the shore home with them. The sun then reaches the sea and they share a long blissful kiss and do notice the ruthless wave approaching.

In one swift move the mother is up and in the water, grasping desperately to the sea. My own heart has fallen still as I can only observe the parent’s desperation and fear. Then the child is released from the waves’ grip. The parents’ tears of relief melt into the sea and they mumble to the grateful child held protectively in their grasp, “You’re okay, I’ve got you.”


Comments

Popular Posts